Suckers are for suckers! Why I love banking at Ally, and why I think you will too.




Ever since I lost over $100 in bogus fees, at Wells Fargo Bank, about ten years ago, I’ve pretty much hated banks.  That all changed about four years ago when I gave up brick and mortar banks and moved all our money to an online bank called Ally.  I learned about Ally bank on my favorite financial discussion forum: bogleheads.org.  Bogleheads, as they are called, were just raving about Ally bank, so I decided to give it a try.  At first, my wife was reluctant because she dreaded the idea of redoing our automatic payments.  So, I agreed to do that work and she was on board with the change.  I never thought I’d fall in love with a bank, but it happened…Here’s why I love banking at Ally:

Some of the highest interest rates in the industry!

Everyone needs to have a checking account, savings account, and emergency fund.  Why leave all that money sitting in a brick and mortar bank making almost ZERO interest?  Move it to Ally and begin earning some of the highest interest rates in the industry!  Currently, an Ally savings account earns an interest rate of 1.6%.  Their no penalty CD earns up to 1.9%.  This is where I keep my emergency fund stashed.

Awesome phone app and website!

The Ally phone app is one of the most frequently used apps on my phone!  I can quickly and easily move money from checking to savings and back to checking again.  I can quickly move money into my kids’ sub-accounts when they’ve earned money doing work around the house.  I can deposit a check with a few clicks.  I’ve used most of the major banks’ phone apps, for bank bonus signups (more on that in another post), and Ally is hands down the best phone app and website.  On the rare occasion that you need to talk to someone, there’s always a super helpful person on the other end!

Free or reimbursed ATM fees!

Ally uses 43,000 All Point ATM machines for free.  The phone app can quickly locate those machines for you.  On the rare occasion that an All Point machine is not nearby, Ally will reimburse you $10 per month for any other ATM machine.  I think I’ve only had to use a non-All Point ATM machine once at Denver International Airport.  Within my Ally account, I have set up a checking account just for our ATM cards.  I leave this with a zero balance until we need to withdraw money.  That way, if someone steals my ATM card, there isn’t any money in that account.  When we need to withdraw money from our ATM, I just click a few buttons, on my phone, and transfer the money from our savings account.  I should note that I maintain an ATM account with Charles Schwab bank because they reimburse 100% of international ATM fees.  I only use my Charles Schwab ATM account when I’m traveling internationally.

No gimmicks, games, or minimums!

I know I could make a bit more interest at banks like Redneck bank (yes, it’s a real bank) but I just don’t like playing their games.  Making ten ATM purchases a month, etc. is just not the type of thing I like to waste energy on.  If it’s for you, go a head but I prefer a solid, no games type of bank.  There are a handful of other banks that offer similar, or even higher interest rates than Ally but I just don’t like their product, phone app, minimums, fees, etc. as much as I like Ally’s whole product.

Multiple checking, saving, and CD accounts.

This may not be unique to Ally but I like the unlimited number of “sub accounts” that I can have under my main account.  For example, besides our main savings account, I have a separate savings account for each of our kids, one for after tax investing, and one to fund CDs.  Besides our main checking account, I have another just for our ATM cards.  I keep this account at $0 just in case there is any fraudulent activity.  I quickly move money into the ATM checking account when we need to make a withdrawal.  I can do all of these things with a few clicks on my phone.

Downsides to Ally?

The only major downside to Ally is that you cannot deposit cash.  This is not a problem for our family as we rarely receive cash.  When we do, we can just spend it down at restaurants or some other entertainment.  If you have a job where you receive a lot of cash, you could set up a brick and mortar account and then transfer deposited money to Ally.  Personally, I haven’t stepped into a brick and mortar bank for almost five years and don’t miss them at all!  Suckers really are for suckers!

NOTES:  I got back all the bogus Wells Fargo fees with their latest settlement.  I still wouldn’t wish my worst enemy bank there—I’ll never understand why so many people still do.

The only time I bank with any bank besides Ally, is to pick up a nice fat bank sign up bonus.  Within the last six months, I’ve made $1,250 in bank bonuses just by moving my emergency fund around.  $500 from Marcus bank, $500 from Key Bank, and another $250 from Simple Bank.  Bank bonuses are announced on another favorite site of mine: DoctorOfCredit.com.  I try to earn at least two thousand dollars, on bank bonuses, each year.  It’s hard to pass up free money 😊




Comments